VOLLEYBALL

The Harvard Volleyball Club captured fifth place at the New England Intercollegiate Volleyball Championships in Springfield Saturday.

The Crimson compiled only a 2-6 record, but placed fifth by playing in the upper division of the tournament.

Following the tournament, the coaches of the nine competing teams elected Harvard freshman Steve Kay and player-coach Todd Stitzer to the All-New England volleyball team.

Yale took the tournament, defeating the Crimson twice, 16-14, 15-7, enroute to the championship. Runner-up Springfield also beat the Crimson spikers twice, 15-12, 15-9.

The Crimson split matches with Rhode Island, losing a 15-17 squeaker before trouncing the Rams, 15-5. They also split with UMass, beating the Red men, 15-10, and losing, 12-15.

"We did pretty well, considering it was the first time our top six guys played together," Joe Antennuci, a member of the team, said yesterday.

Financial Difficulties

The Eastern Regional Volleyball Championships will be held in two weeks at West Piont, N.Y., but the club lacks enough money to make the trip. "The kids don't have enough money to finance it themselves," Stitzer said.