Freshman Film Society Seeks Money, Support, Equipment

A lack of available equipment, funding, and Freshman Council support will force the Herman J. Mankiewicz Film Society to temporarily stop showing films at the end of next week, and could cause the freshman film society to permanently lose its affiliation with the Freshman Council.

Brian D. Young '76, one of the three Freshman Council representatives that run the Mankiewicz Film Society, said yesterday that screenings will stop because of an inability to rent the necessary equipment from the University after next week.

Young said that one of the essentials for operating a successful film society is owning its own equipment. He said that with the Freshman Council's support it would be possible for the Mankiewicz Film Society to obtain the necessary $1200 from the Freshman Activity Fund for the purchase of projection equipment early next year.

Young said that the Mankiewicz Film Society is currently $200 in debt, due to the purchase of a screen and overhead costs for the renting of equipment.

He added that with this week's showing of The Graduate and next week's showing of The Producers, there was no reason why the Mankiewicz Film Society could not make a profit before halting showings for this year.

The Freshman Council will not meet to decide the fate of the Herman J. Mankiewicz Film Society until March 20, when both films have been shown and the society's financial status is known.

Muluifi F. Hannemann '76, president of the Freshman Council, said that some Council members will demand that they be guaranteed a more active role in the selection of films, as well as assurance that the film society is financially sound, before they will support the society's purchase of equipment.

Steven E. Asher '76, another member of the Mankiewicz Film Society, said that he opposed the further involvement of Freshman Council representatives in the management of the film society. He added that the society would prefer to sever connections with the Freshman Council, rather than see the society run by a group of students interested in the commercial rather than aesthetic aspects of film.

Asher also said that a competition is planned to select the most qualified freshmen for executive membership in the film society.

Peter W. Kaplan '76, the third Mankiewicz Film Society member, said that perhaps by interspersing some commercial with artistic films, the Society could win the support of the Freshman Council. He added that he hoped the Mankiewicz Film Society would continue to be an organized freshman activity next year.