Yardling Lacrosse Team Wins Season Opener Against Exeter

An onslaught of five goals in less than five minutes led the freshmen lacrosse team to an 8-5 triumph over the Exeter varsity yesterday.

The freshmen stickmen, playing under adverse weather conditions on a muddy Exeter field, managed to outshoot their opponents by eight shots, 22-14, in their first game of the season.

"Even though we won, I was pretty disappointed with the team's showing," Kevin McCall, Harvard's high scorer for the game said yesterday. McCall scored four goals against Exeter, three of them within three minutes in the second quarter of the game.

McCall said that although the defense performed well, the offense should have scored a lot more. "We're a well balanced team and deserved to win by a wider margin," he said.

The Crimson Yardlings scored first on a shot by midfieldman Giles Whalen, assisted by Greg Jackmauh, also a middle, in the first quarter of the game. Although Exeter scored twice in the first quarter, Harvard held them scoreless in the second period while five Crimson shots sped past the Exeter goalie in four and one-half minutes.

Second period Harvard goals were scored by Jackmauh, McCall, and attackman John Kennedy. McCall, after attaining his second quarter hat trick, went on in the third period to score once more. Bruce Bruckman, a midfieldman, also scored a goal in the third period.

Two of McCall's goals were assisted, one by Kennedy and the other by Arthur Mellon, another of the team's talented midfieldmen.

Mellon, who also said yesterday that the team did not perform as well as it could have, was faced with the unusual situation of playing against his brother in the game. Both Mellons played the same positions and wore the same number on their uniforms, although Bob Mellon scored a goal for Exeter and Art had to settle for his assist.

Goalie Bruce Peliquin performed well for the afternoon, with 6 saves on 11 shots as compared to the Exeter goalie's 5 saves on 13 shots.

The team meets UMass at home next Wednesday.