Kyle to Leave Post Here To Take Texas Deanship

Regina M. Kyle, assistant professor of English, will leave Harvard next year to become the first executive dean for Undergraduate Studies at the University of Texas at Dallas.

Although an official announcement will not be made for several days, reliable sources said yesterday that Kyle has been selected and will accept the position.

Kyle said on Wednesday that although she knew she was a contender for the position, she would refrain from comment until the University of Texas made an official announcement.

Lee H. Smith, vice president for academic affairs at the Dallas campus, said yesterday that the faculty committee which he had appointed to search for a new dean has found Kyle to be an outstanding person. "Her philosophy fits exactly along the lines of this developing institution," Smith said.

Kyle, in addition to serving as assistant professor of English, has been a member of the Board of Freshmen Advisers and head of the Teaching Resources Office while at Harvard.

Last month The Crimson criticized Kyle in an editorial for an attempt to restrict the press from printing information obtained at a public meeting. Chairing a meeting at which members of the Graduate Student and Teaching Fellow Union confronted President Bok, Kyle told the press that Bok's statements would be "off the record."

Smith said that the duties of the executive dean of Undergraduate Studies will be similar to those of the dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard. The executive dean will have complete responsibility for all undergraduate programs at the University including the selection of faculty, Smith added.

The executive dean of Undergraduate Affairs is one of three new administrative positions created this year by the Dallas university.