HUNT HALL TO GO?

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I was amazed to learn that Hunt Hall is booked for demolition to make room for the construction of a new dormitory. Presumably it is considered the most expendable building in the Yard; I would like to point out that its demolition would be a great loss. Hunt Hall is a gem of a building: its high ceilings, skylighting, enormous windows and large open areas all contribute to an overall feeling of spaciousness and open-ended possibilities. This year the building has been put to creative use by individuals connected with the Carpenter Center, and the mix of activities -- studio work upstairs, exhibits in the downstairs lobby, photo silkscreening in the basement and film showings in the Beautiful auditorium, to name a few -- has been exciting. The building, in its scale and layout, with rooms of all sizes under one roof, is ideal for hosting a variety of space-consuming activities jointly, and could serve, for example as a resource center combining visual and performing arts. Surely another site could be found for the new dormitory; it would be a shame for a building with such a rare atmosphere of creative potential to go down. Sandra Matthews '73