Netmen Show Depth by Topping Brown

By Andrew P. Corty

Three down and six to go. That's the yardage left for the tennis team as it expanded its Ivy League record to 3-0 yesterday, defeating Brown, 5-4.

The match wasn't close. Playing indoors because of the threat of rain, the Crimson won five of the six singles matches to secure the victory before the doubles even got started.

Wins came everywhere except at number one where Ken Lindner dropped a tight, exciting match to Mike Powers, 6-7, 6-4, 6-4. In the match, which took about two hours, Powers managed to break Lindner's serve once in the second set and once again in the third, enough to eke by with the victory.

Before that match was finished, however, the Crimson victory looked assured as John Ingard and Chip Baird walked off the courts with quick wins. Ingard took Bruins number three man Weldon Rogers, 6-2, 6-1, and Chip Baird dominated Dicky Lay, 6-2, 7-6.

Upended

Gary Reiner continued his unbeaten streak with another quick win, this time, 6-4, 6-2, over Bruin Dave Miller, and Tom Loring upended Doug Ebenstein, 6-2, 5-7, 6-2.

Sandy Wilson, making the move up from the junior varsity to fill in for injured Randy Barnett, proved the depth the Crimson has been betting on all along with an impressive, 6-4, 6-2, victory.

The third doubles team of Reiner and Ingard moved to the number one slot where they went three sets before bowing to Powers and Miller, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6.

Coach Jack Barnaby substituted freely in the other two doubles, bringing in J.V. players instead of breaking up the other established duos which were missing one player each. Charlie Krusen and Hugh Hyde lost to Rogers and Ebenstein, 6-1, 6-4; while Wilson teamed with sophomore Brian Griffin and almost pulled it out before bowing, 5-7, 6-4, 7-6.

Bruin coach Jim Dougherty had some wise words about Harvard's chances this season saying, "Yes, I agree Columbia is the team to beat in the league, but Harvard still has a good chance to upend them."

"We only lost to Columbia 6-3 last year and we were in it all the way. They tend to get careless and fool around a lot," Dougherty said.