The Responsible Shareholder

Harvard is planning for its financial future far in advance. And as graduation approaches, class agents are already out soliciting contributions from this year's senior class. The Dump Truck would like to take this opportunity to suggest a few ways in which the Class of '73 can share in building Harvard's billion dollar endowment:

Why not give jointly to Harvard and Radcliffe? Stipulate that the money be divided equally in four years time if there is 1 to 1 admissions. Then specify that if there is not equal admissions by that time the entire gift must go to Radcliffe.

Make a contribution to the DuBois Institute. Pledge a donation with the stipulation that if, in four years time, you are satisfied that Harvard is widely and actively recruiting black scholars and has made a firm commitment to undergraduate black studies, the money goes to the Institute. Add that if you are not satisfied by Harvard's policies, the entire donation must go to the Afro-American Studies Department.

Give to the Economics Department. But specify that your donation may not be used for two years or until the time the Ec Dept. hires a Marxist professor-- which ever comes first. Add that if there is not Marxist professor by that time, your gift must go to Education for Action.

These are merely a few suggestions. The list of possible gifts like those above could go on and on. Your own individual gift may not amount to much now, but if you and the rest of your class and the classes that follow and the class that have come before all start doing the same thing--for years to come--why, Harvard might have a whole movement on its hands ...

***

In this issue, the Dump Truck tries to cover the complicated world of Harvard investments. Crimson President Daniel Swanson first reflects on the Mass Hall take-over, which took place one year ago today. Then for the beginning student of Harvard's money management, Peter Shapiro offers a helpful primer entitled What To Do With A Zillion Dollars.

For the intermediate student, Jane Baird and Peter Shane analyze the newly-formed Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility, with special attention to the South African "province" Namibia.

Finally, for those who have already familiarized themselves with the facts and are anxious to take some action--or for anyone with an empty wall--we offer a special pin-up section: The Responsible Shareholder's Brief Guide to Proxy Fights, complied by Seth Kupferberg.

The editors would like to thank Paul E. Donohue, Peter A. Southwick and Joseph A. Kovaks for their photographs, Peter W. Kaplan for the pin-up, and Ira A. Burnim for the cover. The Editors