Crimson Thinclads to Face Princeton

Sprint Field Events Toss-ups

The thinclads open their outdoor season this afternoon at Soldiers Field against Princeton, in what will turn out to be a major test of Coach Bill McCurdy's rebuilding efforts in the sprints and field events.

McCurdy yesterday rated the Crimson a narrow favorite over Princeton, conceding the Tigers only five of eighteen events. However, he rated five other crucial events as toss ups, claiming only eight as Harvard wins.

Assistant coach Robert "Pappy" Hunt yesterday said Princeton's depth could spell trouble.

Raise Heck

"They could raise heck with our sprint team by their depth," Hunt said. "They have three equally good sprinters."

As was the case in the indoor season, Bayles Reid shapes up as the only dependable sprinter for Harvard.

Reid will run in the sprint relay, the 100 and 220.

McCurdy doesn't look for a win in the spring relay but he does figure on Harvard victories in Reid's other two races.

The mile run, with John Quirk and Rick Rojas, should be Harvard's biggest win of the afternoon, McCurdy said.

Toss-Ups

He rates the mile relay and two-mile runs as toss-ups, however.

Dewey Hickman should win for the Crimson in the high hurdles, but the intermediate hurdles should be closer.

"The intermediate hurdles are hard to figure--if [Sam] Butler runs like he did in South Carolina over Spring vacation, he's a shoe-in," McCurdy said.

Field Events

In the field events, Princeton looks stronger at the hammer, shot discus and broad jump.

Harvard's strength in the field lies with Mel Embree at the high jump and Jim Kleiger and Blayne Heckel pole-vaulting.