Hapless Crimson Lacrossemen Visit Ivy Contender Cornell

By Philip Weiss

Ithaca, N.Y., is the wrong place to look for lacrosse victories around the Ivy League, but the Crimson stickmen, still searching for their first triumph, will journey there today to confront Ivy powerhouse Cornell, at 2 p.m.

Coach Richie Moran's Big Red ten, defending Ivy champ, has been treated around as delicately this season as Harvard (0-7), going down to first-ranked Johns Hopkins, 17-8, but losing to Navy in the mud by only 5-4, on a disputed goal.

Brown tripped Cornell's record streak of 22 Ivy wins a week ago with an 11-3 win. The Big Red's lone victory came Wednesday, when it trounced Syracuse, 12-3.

Despite the fact that it took the Ivy crown last year, and the national title before that, Cornell lost seven out of eight all-Ivy players to graduation, including four of five all-America selections.

Cornell's offensive threat exists in midfielders Bruce Arena, Steve Lucas and Steve Sandford, and attackmen Bob Carell and Ken Wingate.

Defense will be anchored by Andy Siminerie, Greg Hunt and Jim Bradley, with Mike Emmerich minding nets.

Harvard will respond today with a 2-2-2 offense on all midfields. Coach Bruce Munro employed the arrangement only with his second string against UMass Wednesday, when the offense equalled its highest output of the season.

"Our improvement was marked. At least we didn't lose the ball as much, and got more shots," Munro said yesterday.

The Crimson will be in the best shape it's been in for two games but the continuing absence of defensive right-winger Charlie Kittredge, with a bruised lower leg, may be costly. Larry Uhl and Carter McDowell will fill in.

Goalie Brian Everist, who missed the UMass loss, will be back in the nets today. Baltimore products Bob Coplan and Walt Dandy replaced him against the Minutemen.