Ford Foundation Funds Study Of Radcliffe Institute, College

By Emily Wheeler

Radcliffe College has received a one-year planning grant of $28,775 from the Ford Foundation to explore "the future direction of the Radcliffe Institute and the college," Matina S. Horner, president of Radcliffe, announced yesterday.

Horner said the funds will pay the salaries and working expenses of a special planning coordinator and research staff. It will also allow for greater coordination between undergraduate programs for women and current Institute research and counselling facilities.

"The grant will be used to expand on things at the Institute," Horner said. "None of its programs have developed fully. Now the Institute can serve a much broader populace than in the past."

Horner added that she had two projects in mind for which the funds could be used but that she has not yet committed herself to one.

One project would "identify the patterns and long range effects of women's education and experience" in single-sex and coeducational institutions, Horner said.

The other would develop a "major program" of family studies through the Institute. "By working with the schools of Public Health and Education, this would be a sort of HEW--health, education and women," Horner said.

Horner said that the research which the grant makes possible will be shared with the University as a whole and with other colleges.