Linkmen Win Boston Tourney

For the eighth straight year the Crimson golf squad has captured the Greater Boston Intercollegiate Golf Championships. The title came easily Sunday as the team posted a 36-hole total of 798, a whopping 20 strokes better than second-place Tufts.

The individual leader for Harvard was senior Bill Salatich, who shot rounds of 79 and 78. He was the only golfer to score under 80 in more than one round of the tournament. Salitich finished second overall, behind John Forbes of Brandeis. Forbes had rounds of 80 and an impressive 70 that gave him the title.

Skip Berry and Steve McConnel tied for fourth overall with rounds of 159. Art Burke shot a 160, Quinn Smith came in at 162, Tom Backenstose had a 174 and Tom Yellin took 164 strokes for the 36 holes at Concord Country Club.

Salitich won the individual honors as a sophomore and was looking to make it two on Sunday. But Forbes's phenomenal 70 in the final round robbed him of the opportunity. "I could have had it," Salitich said, "but a couple of three putts in the final round did me in." The Crimson face Brown in Providence Thursday.