National Architectural Awards Go to Two Harvard Buildings

The American Institute of Architects (AIA) this weekend will award the designers of Radcliffe's new faculty housing and of Gund Hall with the nation's highest award for architectural excellence.

Ronald Gourley and John H. Andrews '47 are among 12 American architects who will receive the AIA's National Honor Award for 1973. Both men received their Master of Architecture degrees from Harvard's Graduate School of Design.

A five-man jury of AIA members chaired by the former dean of the MIT School of Architecture last week selected the 12 winning projects. About 500 entries were originally considered.

Nine Families

Gourky designed the faculty housing, which was completed last year. It stands at the extreme north end of the Radcliffe Quad and houses the Master of North House, Edward L. Keenan Jr. '57, professor of History and his family and eight other faculty families.

The Radcliffe faculty housing is 'an excellent example of how to utilize valuable land in a congested area of a college and in so doing enhance the space between old and new," the jury's statement said.

Belluschi yesterday commended Gund Hall, which now houses the Graduate School of Design. "It is an imaginative, creative piece of architecture, coming out of the norm," he said.

Andrews designed Gund Hall for the architectural firm of Andrews, Baldwin of Toronto, Canada. Gourley, who has won five other national awards in the past, designed the faculty housing for the firm of Ronald Gourley, Carleton R. Richmond Jr.