Golfers Trounce Big Green; Battle Trinity, MIT Today

By William E. Stedman jr.

The Crimson golf team still has a shot at being invited to the NCAA tournament this year. They kept their chances alive by crushing Dartmouth Tuesday by a whopping 32 strokes at the Concord Country Club.

John Stoviak led the 386-418 rout, shooting a 75 for 18 holes, the low score for the day. The lowest the Big Green could come up with was a 78, the fourth highest score for Harvard.

Art Burke took the 18 holes at Concord in 76 strokes, while Quinn Smith carded a 77. John Ellis went around in 78 shots, so that the Crimson had four players shooting better golf than the Big Green's top man.

'Creamed 'Em'

Steve McConnell, the high man for Harvard with an 82, obviously wasn't pleased with his rounds but didn't have much to worry about as Dartmouth wasn't exactly burning up the course. "We creamed 'em," he said yesterday. "We really smashed them, it wasn't even close."

Tom Yellin and Skip Berry also competed for the Crimson, coming in with an 80 and 81 respectively. Eighty was about the average score for the Big Green.

Big If

To maintain its shot at the NCAAs, Harvard has to win the next two tri-matches. The Crimson meets Trinity and MIT at Concord today and travels to Yale Saturday to take on the Elis and Princeton. "If we can win these," McConnell said, "we'll get the invitation to the tournament." But that's a pretty big if.

All four teams the Crimson linkmen will face are tough. There won't be any gimmes, to use a golfing term, especially in New Haven. But with a little luck, Harvard could have a national champion golf team.