Calendar Reform Fails

DATES:

By Charles E. Shepard

Assignment to a Radcliffe House wasn't the only news development this week that drew freshman fire. Many members of the Class of '76 weren't too happy Tuesday when the Faculty voted to recommit the proposed "early semester" plan to the Faculty Council, apparently delaying any calendar revision until Fall 1975.

The 79-63 vote on the recommit motion of Samuel H. Beer, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, followed an hour of debate during which numerous Faculty members cited their objections to the proposed schedule.

Robert J. Kiely, associate dean for Undergraduate Education, said after the meeting that he sees no way to reverse the Faculty's decision. "I read the vote as a way of defeating the motion," he commented.

President Bok indicated after the meeting, however, that the calendar could still be changed in time for 1974 implementation.

Marion C. Belliveau, Faculty Registrar, said Tuesday night that the Faculty could alter the schedule by Fall 1974 only if it votes for a change at its first Fall meeting in mid-October.

Undergraduates had expressed their support for schedule revision in a late March poll. Of more than 900 freshmen responding to the survey, over 85 per cent advocated the "early semester" plan. Support for a change was somewhat smaller in the upper classes.