Eliot House Rowers Sweep Intramural Crew; Kirkland Nine Douses Hot Adams Squad 8-0

Last night's senior dinner at Kirland was marred somewhat by a bunch of rowdy rowers from Eliot House who paraded around outside Kirkland in an inebriated state shouting "We're number one." The overbearing oarsmen had a right to brag as Eliot swept both the A and B intramural crew races yesterday from traditional rowing power Kirkland.

Things weren't all that bad for Kirkland, for while they lost a championship crew, they gained a championship baseball squad. Kirkland walloped a streaking Adams house squad yesterday 8-0 in the intramural final.

Eliot House came from behind to win the 1500-meter A race yesterday, edging out a never-say-die Kirkland boat. Both Eliot and Kirkland came from way behind in that race to overhaul Quincy. Finishing behind Quincy were Winthrop and Mather.

In the B race Eliot led right from the start and kept up the pace throughout the entire 1000 meters. Adams House made a gallant bid to overhaul Eliot, coming from a last place start to finish in a disputed second with Mather. No one is exactly sure who did come in number two and even fourth place Kirkland contends that they would have finished second if the race hadn't been shortened.

In baseball action Kirkland dowsed a red-hot Adams House nine with a balanced attack that produced eight runs while limiting the oppostition to zero runs. The Adams squad was coming off a no-hitter against Mather yesterday hurled by Bart VanDissle.

Adams won that semifinal contest by a 10-1 count and seemed like the team to bet on for the finals. But Kirkland, behind the pitching of Bob Rosenberg, held the hot Adams House bats in check.

VanDissle, who was rested yesterday in favor of losing pitcher Neil Goldstein, summed up his team's loss in a telephone interview last night. "They had some good hitters and we had some poor fielders. They had some good fielders and we had some bad hitters." He added, "It was by sheer luck that it was only 8-0."

Kirkland picked up three runs in the first, one in the second, three in the third and one in the fifth, and final, inning. As it turned out, the three-run first was all they needed to get the win and revenge the crew team's losses on the Charles.