Horner Discusses Teaching, Housing At Currier House

By Gary J. Jakaitis

Radcliffe President Matina S. Horner suggested that course seminars be required of all teaching fellows to improve the quality of undergraduate education during a discussion last night with undergraduates at Currier House.

Horner said she was "very concerned that the kind of teaching we are doing isn't consistant with our aims."

Describing undergraduate fellows and advisers as "the most important group of people we have," she said that their competence and ability are closely related to the quality of the freshman year experience.

Horner said that many studies have been done regarding this problem, but most have been unsuccessful because there has been no way to implement them.

Much of the discussion focused on the University's House assignment method, with suggestions that the University examine this problem closely.

A Desire to Review

"I really desire to review the type of criteria used by the computer [for House selection]," Horner said.

A major theme among Radcliffe students regarding housing was the necessity to clarify the differences between Harvard and Radcliffe, emphasizing the benefits of life at Radcliffe to future incoming freshmen.

Horner said that the University has just received a Ford Foundation grant which may provide the necessary funds for study and long-range planning regarding the role of Radcliffe in the future of the University.

President Horner said that such a project would require questionnaires and long-range planning by the University to implement its objectives.