School Committee Rescinds Dismissals Of Thirteen Tenured Administrators

By Leo FJ. Wilking

The Cambridge School Committee voted unanimously last night to rescind letters of dismissal that were sent to 13 administrators in the school system in mid-April.

School Superintendent Alflorence Cheatham had decided to reassign the 13 tenured administrators in order to comply with a February order of the School Committee that his budget be cut by $200,000.

That February order was passed 4-3 by the CCA-endorsed members of the committee, over the angry objections of the three independent committeemen and parents who insisted that the administrative positions were vital to the well-being of the affected schools.

About 200 concerned parents showed up at last night's meeting necessitating its transfer from the School Department offices to the nearby auditorium of Cambridge High and Latin School.

After meeting for about 90 minutes in executive session, the committee announced that with the help of Cheatham, it had reached a compromise which will keep the 13 administrators--assistant headmasters, sub-masters and deans--in their present positions for the time being.

$200,000

The compromise consisted of various measures which would cut a total of $200,000 from other areas of the School Department budget.

However, the motion listing these changes noted that Cheatham would still be expected to evaluate administrative needs in the school system and to determine whether any positions should be terminated.

This motion passed unanimously.