Cox Chooses Law School Professors As Watergate Investigation Assistants

By Richard A. Samp

Watergate prosecutor Archibald Cox '34 Wednesday named Philip B. Heymann and James Vorenberg '49, professors of Law, as informal assistants in setting up the Watergate investigation.

Heymann said yesterday that he and Vorenberg will assist Cox in "setting up shop" for the investigation. Their duties will include recruiting a staff and collecting Watergate records from the courts and the Senate, he said.

The two also will "help define the issues" to be investigated, Vorenberg said. They began to work Wednesday morning, several hours after Cox offered them the jobs, he said.

Vorenberg said that his job will last "just a few weeks; the sooner I'm out of a job the happier I'll be." He said that the new job "won't interfere in the slightest" with his plans to become Master of Dunster House in the fall.

Both Heymann and Vorenberg have worked with Cox on previous occasions. Heymann worked in the Solicitor General's office under Cox from 1961 to 1965.

He later served in the State Department during the Johnson administration. His posts there included Deputy Assistant Secretary of State in the Bureau of International Organization Affairs and executive assistant to Under Secretary Nicholas deB. Katzenbach.

Before joinging the Law School faculty in 1969, Heymann also worked one year as a public defender in criminal cases.

Vorenberg, a former student of Cox, served as special assistant to the attorney general in 1964-1965 under Robert F. Kennedy '48, Katzenbach and Ramsey Clark. He also served two years as director of the President's Crime Commission.

Vorenberg became a professor of Law in 1962.