Basketball Search Committee To Make Selection Next Week

By Douglas E. Schoen

Robert Watson, director of Athletics, said yesterday that the search committee for a new head basketball coach has cut its number of candidates down to eight and will probably make a decision by next week.

"We may decide to interview one or two more candidates, but the interviewing process is almost over," Watson said.

Watson met with Boston Celtic forward Tom (Satch) Sanders yesterday about the possibility of the 13-year NBA veteran taking the Harvard job.

After the meeting, Watson termed Sanders "one of our top candidates."

Watson also said that Jack Rohan, the head coach at Columbia, is "a top candidate."

Rohan said yesterday, "I wouldn't have come to Cambridge if I wasn't interested in the job. Everyone I spoke with was very cordial, but in this sort of procedure everyone is always very cautious."

Watson declined to reveal the names of any of the other people under consideration for the job.

The eight-member search committee was formed following the dismissal of Bob Harrison, the Crimson coach over the last five seasons.

The search committee will make its recommendation to Watson, who will then make the final selection. Initially, Watson said that Harvard might hire an interim coach, but over the last two weeks it has become clear that the search committee is looking for a permanent head coach.

Because Harvard has to pay the last year on Harrison's contract, Watson said at the time of Harrison's firing that they did not have the money to hire a full-time replacement.