Bruins Lose Plante to Quebec

The Boston Bruins, who slumped badly this season after several of their key players jumped to the World Hockey Association (WHA), lost another top performer to the WHA yesterday.

Veteran goaltender Jacque Plante has signed a 10-year contract as general manager and coach of the Quebec Nordiques of the WHA, Paul Racine, president of the Nordiques, announced yesterday.

The 44-year-old Plante came to the Bruins late this season from the Toronto Maple Leafs. Plante did well a two regular season games for the Bruins, but he folded under Stanley Cup pressure and lost two key games in the New York Rangers.

The Bruins said when they acquired Plante that they hoped to use the 20-year NHL veteran for "many seasons to come."

Plante's departure leaves Bruins with a glaring weakness in the goal. Eddie Johnston, the Bruins' back-up goalie, may soon go to the Maple Leaves. Informed sources say that Johnston is the unnamed player the Bruins promised to send to Toronto as part of the Plante deal.

If Johnston goes, the Bruins will be left with only rookies John Adams and Ross Brooks to play in the nets. A possible replacement is former Bruin Bernie Parent, who recently quit as goaltender for the Philadelphia Blazers.

Harry Sinden, managing director of the Bruins, said yesterday he was "surprised and a little sad" that Plante was jumping leagues. Plante recently signed a new contract with the Bruins and told Sinden on Tuesday that he planned to stay in Boston, Sinden said.