Laxmen Cop First Win, 14-2, at MIT

Hagerty Earns Six Points

By Philip Weiss

Under the drab yellow NECCO tower at MIT, the Crimson ten played candy lacrosse yesterday for one quarter before grabbing three quick goals and cruising to the first win of its campaign, 14-2.

Harvard went into the contest playing a confident and casual game, marked by chummy flipping of the ball on the Engineer crease. But the lethargic pace just didn't make points, as four times the lackadaisical offense missed sure-goal situations.

MIT Strikes First

MIT played a scrappy if unpolished game though, and in the rare moments when it had the ball, tried to go to the goal. Techman George Braun struck first at 8:31 in the first quarter, bouncing a hard shot past goalie Brian Everist after picking up a loose ball on the crease.

Harvard trailed, 1-0, at the end of the quarter.

However, an impatient Crimson attack took control of the game to open the second quarter. With 1:37 gone, attackman Jim Quinn, on the same play that had failed 20 seconds earlier, fed middy Andy Anderson who was wheeling towards the right side of the crease. Anderson fell, but not before bouncing the ball into the left side of the net.

Less than two minutes later, Quinn took the ball again and hit attackman John Hagerty on the right side. Hagerty put the ball in the air and into the goal.

Third Quick Score

Twenty seconds later, on a clear, attackman Steve Milliken passed to attackman Fred Adair, who lured MIT goalie Roy Greenwald from the net before bouncing it past him to make it 3-1.

The Crimson led at half-time, 4-1, then at the end of the third period, 7-2, before breaking it open to in last period with seven goals.

On the game, Hagerty continued his spring onslaught with five goals and an assist. Quinn earned one goal and three assists; Adair, two goals and one assist; middy Bob Frisbie, one tally and two assists; and Milliken, a goal and an assist.

Midfielders Andy Anderson, with two goals, Nick Everett, with a goal and Tom Locke, with a goal, also pitched in.

Harvard outshot the Engineers, 47-27, and picked up more groundballs, 67-46. Hagerty, often double-teamed, still took 20 shots.

Meanwhile, the frosh stickmen dropped their second game of the season in a 7-6 overtime decision to Andover preppies. Midfielder Greg Jackmauh starred in the losing effort with two goals and an assist.