Knicks Squeeze Past Lakers, 87-83, For 2-1 Lead in NBA Playoff Finals

Willis Reed poured in 22 points and Earl Monroe added 21 in leading the New York Knicks to an 87-83 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers yesterday.

The victory gives the Knicks a 2-1 advantage in the finals of the National Basketball Association championship playoffs.

Weak shooting hampered the Knicks in the first half and helped the Lakers in a 47-44 halftime lead. But the Knicks took advantage of an injury to Jerry West, the Lakers' leading scorer in the series, to pull out to a 71-61 lead in the fourth quarter.

West, hampered by a pulled groin muscle, scored only one point in the third quarter and sat out the final period altogether.

The Lakers managed to whittle the Knicks' ten-point lead to only two, 85-83, on Keith Erickson's layup with 55 seconds remaining and set the stage for some game-ending drama.

The Lakers regained the ball 19 seconds later when Reed was called for traveling.

Los Angeles called time out and set up a play on which Erickson took a jumper from the left side. The ball hit off the back rim and Reed came down with the rebound.

The Knicks then held on to the ball until Walt Frazier was fouled with two seconds to play. Frazier sank both free throws to seal the victory for the Knicks.