Pneumonia Sends Nixon to Hospital; Out for One Week

President Nixon entered Bethesda Naval Hospital last night for treatment of what White House doctors diagnosed as viral pneumonia.

Ronald Ziegler, the president's press secretary, said last night that Nixon had insisted on following his schedule for the day, including meetings with his staff, despite feeling ill and running a high fever.

Ziegler said Nixon had called in his physician, Dr. Walter Tkach, at 5:30 a.m., complaining of discomfort in his right chest. After preliminary examinations, the president went to work, he said.

At 6:30 or 7 p.m., however, Nixon's doctor prevailed upon him to enter Bethesda for an examination. Nixon arrived at the hospital at 9:12 p.m. and will remain there for about a week.

When he entered the hospital last night, the president was reported to have looked shaky.

Nixon is occupying the third floor presidential suite at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland, the same suite used by the late President Lyndon B. Johnson during his illnesses in office.

Nixon's physician said that the president had "no complications." He added that he had prescribed rest and medication.

Ziegler said Nixon had been running a fever of between 102 and 103 degrees, but was in "excellent spirits even though somewhat weak."