Eclectic Courses, Students Mark Summer Session

By Amanda Bennett

About 3000 students will queue up in front of Memorial Hall today to register for the 1973 Summer Session.

Of the 3000, about 1000 are Harvard-Radcliffe undergraduates.

The total group of students registering for the Summer Session is in some ways much more diversified than the group that makes up the undergraduate College.

This year virtually every country in the world will be represented on the registration line, Josh Rubins, assistant director for Cultural Affairs, said yesterday.

"The range of countries that people come from is staggering," he said. "During the year the mix tends to be slightly homogenized."

The age groups represented will also be wider in the Summer Session. High school students come to the Summer Session to get advanced placement credit. University students come for the credit or for the experience. Business men come back for relevant courses and alumni come back for the two special two-week "Alumni College Programs."

Pre-Meds Abound

Of all the courses offered this summer, the courses for fulfilling pre-medical requirements seem to be the most popular. Physics 1 has the largest pre-registration enrollment, with 240 people signed up. Chemistry 20 is also heavily subscribed, along with Chem 1, the introductory chemistry course offered in the summer.

The summer session traditionally draws many students to its language courses, and this year is no exception. The selections, however, run to the exotic. Chinese has the heaviest enrollment, with Ancient Greek running a very close second. Arabic and the more conservative French are also close to the top.

Economic courses are also apparently on the upswing this summer.

Some of the special programs being offered include a course on Publishing Procedures, which involves methods of producing magazines, and whose 'graduates' traditionally acquire jobs with many of the most popular magazines and journals throughout the country.

A program on "Health Careers," jointly funded by the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, and the Office of Health Manpower Opportunities enrolled 163 minority group members--the entire class--from an application pool of 1500.

Pre-Meds and Dancers

The emphasis in this course of study will be on pre-medical and pre-dental training.

The Dance Center will make its debut this summer. It will offer instruction in modern dance on all levels and several unusual performances.

The summer session is much more structured than during the year. "The time is just too short for people to plan all their own activities," Rubins said.

A calendar of events (see P. 3) includes such offerings as lecture series, concerts, programs at the Loeb, Yard punches, and mixers.

There will also be that traditional Harvard curiosity, the Jolly-up, held free at the Harvard Club of Boston