Jr. Lincoln Hired As Father Retires At Harvard Press

By Katherine Field

Although July 6 is Loring Lincoln's last day at work, the Harvard University Press will not have a chance to forget his name. A new employee will be starting work in the sales division on that date. His name is Loring Lincoln, Jr. '70.

Lincoln Sr. started his career with the University Press as a salesman in 1945. While thumbing through old book catalogs last week, Lincoln remarked proudly that 1945 was the year of many of what he called the University Press "greats," including the first edition of the Harvard Dictionary of Music.

Lincoln, who has been sales manager of the Press since 1955, has seen many "greats" published in the past 28 years. He has enjoyed being affiliated with the University. "Everyone respects Harvard--and I think that respect is justified," he said.

Lincoln, a Tufts graduate, said he is pleased with a job that has provided such a natural opportunity for him to continue expanding his education. Lincoln said he found it helpful as a young salesman to know his product from the inside out. Since then, he has made it a habit to read a substantial part of every book published by the University Press--over 100 titles a year.

Retirement will not be an abrupt change for his contented man. He admits he will miss his job--the people, the benefits and the books--but he looks forward to pursuing his favorite pastime--travel.

As a representative for the University Press, Lincoln traveled extensively in the United States and Canada. But now he confesses to more exotic dreams, including a sailing cruise on a schooner and a trip to Alaska with his wife, Eileen. He wants to have a chance to use the camping equipment his fellow employees gave him at a recent dinner in his honor. And although his job took him to Washington D.C. about four times a year, the next time he visits the city he says he will take time to tour the White House.

Lincoln imagines he will not want to give up the habit of reading books in his spare time. But if he should be distracted by camping, sailing, and enjoying retirement, his son might gently ask, "Read any good books lately?"