Harvard to Lease Idle Land to Poor For Nominal Fee

By Douglas Nygren

Harvard today will lease a parcel of land near the Business School to a group of Allston tenants who will convert it into a park.

The tenants who make up the North Harvard Neighborhood Council, will pay $1 per year rental for a five-year lease, which will be renewable.

The council members, lower income and older people who live in the Charles View Housing Development, will seek donations from the Boston area to pay for the conversion of the vacant property into a park with both play areas and places for older people to lounge and talk.

Harvard feels it is acting as a "good neighbor" to the community in leasing the land for nominal rent, Donald C. Moulton, assistant vice president for Community Affairs, said yesterday. He added that Harvard has increased its efforts at community relations in the past several years.

$50,000 Construction

The future park, which will be located between the Business School's soccer field and the New England Depository, will cost $50,000 to construct.

To help the group, Harvard will continue to insure the land until park construction begins. Pamela Rencricca, a spokeswoman for the tenants,

To help the group, Harvard will continue to insure the land until park construction begins, Pamela Rencricca, a spokeswoman for the tenants, said yesterday.