'Cliffe to Yard Shuttle Buses Begin Monday

Harvard will begin an experimental bus service for students and employees between the Yard. Radcliffe and the Business School on September 24.

The free shuttles will operate seven days a week from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m.

The Administration, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and Radcliffe will provide the estimated $30,000 needed for the year-long project, Robert E. Kaufmann '62, assistant to the dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for Financial Affairs, said last week.

"The major reason for instituting the shuttle is a matter of security, but we hope that it will serve a number of different constituencies and uses," Kaufmann said.

Harvard experimented with a Radcliffe shuttle in 1966, but discontinued the service because few Radcliffe women used it.

The idea of a shuttle service was again brought up when men moved to Radcliffe in 1970. Stephen S. J. Hall, vice president for Administration, said last week that demand for bus service to Radcliffe has increased with coeducation. Last spring many freshmen athletes assigned to Radcliffe requested a bus to Dillon Field house to give them easy access to Soldier's Field.

Two buses will operate from 6:30 p.m. until 10:30 p.m. on weekdays--one serving Radcliffe and the North Campus and the other serving the Harvard Houses and the Business School. The bus routes will connect at the Lehman-Wadsworth gate opposite Holyoke Center.

One bus will make a complete circuit of the campus route at least once an hour during the other scheduled times.

Harvard will lease buses for the first six months or until the project proves successful enough to warrant their purchase, Hall said last week.