Harvard Offense Looks Encouraging In Controlled Scrimmage With Bruins

By Peter A. Landry, Special to The Crimson

PROVIDENCE, R.I.--Harvard got its final tune-up of the football pre-season Saturday, braving unseasonably cold and blustery conditions here to edge Brown, 11-9, in a controlled scrimmage.

Neither team looked much like a world-beater, and the scrimmage was evenly matched throughout the afternoon. Harvard, because of an agreement to exchange films of the scrimmage with next week's opponent, UMass, used only two sets and worked a very basic offensive attack.

Brown, reorganizing under new coach John Anderson, showed promise offensively but still has a long way to go before the Bruins will be able to shed the losers image that has plagued them the last ten years.

Harvard scored its touchdown on Jim Stoeckel-to-Fran Cronin pass which capped an impressive length-of-the-field drive. Cronin, who saw extra duty at end because Pat McInally missed the scrimmage with injury, looked impressive all afternoon.

Bruce Tetirick kicked a field goal for three more points and the Crimson, showing the results of Crimson coach Joe Restic's increased devotion to practicing kick coverage, capped the scoring by getting a safety after a booming Stoeckel punt came down on the three.

Brown scored on a ten-yard run by sophomore Hubie Morgan (an impressive prospect) and a field goal by Jose Violante.

With the Harvard repertoire restricted by opposition scouting, Restic devoted most of his efforts to seeing as many people as possible and evaluating their performances against the Bruins.

The most pleasant surprise for the Crimson coach had to be the play of fullbacks Neil Miller and Phil Allen. Both were tough up the middle and on off-tackle plays, and each of them ripped off large chunks of yardage. Restic, who had labeled the fullback a trouble spot early in pre-season was gratified by Miller and Allen's play.

Restic also had praise for the rest of his backfield. Quarterbacks Stoeckel and Milt Holt drew raves from the Crimson coach, and between them completed over 50 per cent of their passes.

Good Grades

The half-back and interior linemen also were given good grades in Restic's chart book. The first unit of center Carl Culig, guards Bill Ferry and Bob Kircher, and tackles Tim Manna and Dan Jiggetts got a particularly glowing rating.

Restic seemed happy with the performance of his offense that netted Harvard 308 yards rushing and a 16 for 24 passing day in 100 plays.

But while the Crimson had success on the ground and showed promise in the air, the Harvard attack was stunted by mistakes, which killed three drivers when the Crimson had moved within 15 yards of the end zone.

"Our drives were well done. We just made mistakes," Restic said. "And the good long drive doesn't pay off unless you take it into the end zone."

While the offense generally drew praise from Restic, the defense came under some pretty scathing (for Restic) criticism. The defensive ends and linebackers, positions the Crimson coach had cited as strengths at the outset of practice, were hardest hit.

"Our ends and linebackers weren't aggressive enough," Restic said. "We weren't getting any pressure from the outside. I'm really disappointed with their showing. We're going to work these people hard this week."

The defensive backfield, which had been crippled by early injuries looked pretty good. "They did a fine job," Restic said. Alex Costello was the standout of the backfield group on Saturday.