Icemen Have It Rough Over Vacation

Skaters Ridicule Tigers With Crushing 10-1 Win

By E.p. Eggert

Princeton's perennially weak varsity hockey team, led by new coach Jack Semler, travelled to Cambridge last Friday, hoping to break tradition by putting on a respectable showing against Harvard.

Instead, in line with past performances, the Tigers went down to an agonizing 10-1 defeat which dropped their record to 5-8. Princeton now stands 1-2 in the Ivy League, having registered a 4-2 victory over Brown and a 4-1 loss to Pennsylvania.

Co-captain Bob Goodenow headed Harvard's offense with two goals and two assists, while the line of Steve Dagdigian, Kevin Car and Jim McMahon collected eight points. Right-winger Dagdigian scored twice and assisted once, and center Carr earned one shorthanded goal and two assists.

Harvard started slowly, going ahead 2-0 in the first period on goals by Goodenow and Phelps Swift, and then lengthening the lead to 4-0 in the second stanza on scores by Dan Bolduc and McMohan. White the score board not working, the official timekeepers ruled that McMohan's tally came with one second left in the second period.

The Tigers, missing five ailing starters, wearied and collapsed in the third stanza after Corky Powers collected a token goal.

Harvard's Leigh Hogan, Carr, Ted Thorndike and Goodenow each scored once, while Dagdigian put in two as the Crimson tormented Princeton's long-suffering senior goalie, Phil Robinson.