Vacation Savings Of Energy Exceed Prior Expectations

By H. JEFFREY Leonard

Harvard saved more energy than Administration officials originally anticipated as a result of the extra week of vacation and the "mothballing" of buildings during the holidays, Richard G. Leahy, associate dean of the Faculty for resources and planning, said yesterday.

Leahy said it is too early to determine just how much energy the extended vacation saved, but savings up to last week had "more than doubled our expectations."

Wait a Week

Eugene J. Arcand Jr., assistant to the vice president for administration, said yesterday that the savings will be easier to evaluate in another week "when we have figures for a week with students here to compare with last week's."

The University used 36 per cent less steam in December than in December 1972, Arcand said, and is running about 32 per cent less thus far in January.

Arcand estimated that half of the December savings were due to the unreasonably warm weather and half to the lowering of temperatures and the other fuel-saving steps taken by the University.

The Council of Deans will consider at a meeting this morning the possibilities of a week-long break for George Washington's Birthday to save energy in February.

Leahy said it is doubtful that a decision will be reached until the February fuel allotments are received later this month.