Rowing Coach Harry Parker Elected to Crew Hall of Fame

Harry L. Parker, coach of the Crimson heavyweight crew, won immortality among oarsmen Tuesday with his election to the Rowing Hall of Fame.

"I'm surprised and pleased," Parker said yesterday. "The Hall of Fame generally waits until a coach is inactive before it admits him, so I wasn't expecting it at all."

However, Parker's outstanding eleven-year career, in which his heavyweights compiled a phenomenal 42-4 regular season record and won seven straight Eastern sprint championships from 1964 to 1970, justifies his election.

Winning Abroad

In international competition, Parker's eights have had similar success, winning the European championship at Lucerne, Switzerland, in 1965, the Pan American Games in 1967 and international regattas in Egypt in 1971 and 1972.

Parker has also coached three American Olympic teams culminating with a silver medal at Munich in 1972 won by a heavyweight crew that included six of his former Harvard oarsmen.

Robert B. Watson, director of Athletics, said yesterday, "I'm delighted Harry Parker has finally gained the recognition he deserves. I have extremely high regard for him and what he's done for Harvard."

Parker will be formally inducted in a ceremony in New London, Conn., on Saturday.