Elliot Is Coming To Speak

LECTURES:

By Anne DE Hayden neal

Former Attorney General Elliot L. Richardson '41 will return to Harvard next fall to deliver a series of three Godkin lectures on foreign policy at the Kennedy School of Government.

Edwin L. Godkin, former editor of the New York Evening Post and of the Nation, initiated the Godkin lectures in 1903 and provided money for the annual Godkin lecture series.

Richardson joins a list of past lecturers which includes psychologist Erik Erikson, foreign policy adviser McGeorge Bundy, former New York Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller, and Edward Heath, Great Britain's prime minister.

Don K. Price, Dean of the Kennedy Law School, said Monday that the Corporation confirmed his selection for the God kin lecturer during the Christmas recess.

Richardson, now director of a project for the Wood row Wilson international Center for Scholars at Princeton University, resigned as Attorney General last October after President Nixon's firing of Watergate Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox '34.

Richardson returned to private law practice in Washington, D.C. after his resignation this fall. Prior to his post as attorney General, he entered the cabinet as secretary of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare and in 1972 as Secretary of the Defense.

Arthur M. Okun, a member of the Council of Economic Advisors and a fellow at the Bookings Institute, will deliver this year's, Godkin lectures April 16-18.

Carl Kaysen, 1972-1973 lecturer for the Godkin series, initiated a minor controversy last year when he cancelled his appearance four days before the scheduled talks.

Kaysen, director of the Institute of Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey, said last March that "important business" caused him to cancel his appearance. Kaysen's performance as director of the Institute was evaluated shortly after his abrupt cancellation.