Lowell House Votes by 3 to 1 Not to Take Part in the CRR

By Seth M. Kupferberg

Lowell House students have voted against choosing a delegate to the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities by a margin of more than three to one.

In a referendum held yesterday and Monday, 133 Lowell residents opposed participating in the CRR--a purportedly faculty-student disciplinary group which students have boycotted since 1970--while 38 said the House should choose representatives to it.

House committees have repeatedly refused to send student members to the CRR, attacking its admission of hearsay evidence and closed hearings, its man-dated seven-to-four faculty-student ratio, and the concept of a special body for disciplining student demonstrators.

When Dean Whitlock sent the House committees his annual letter asking for student members for University committees last month, the Lowell House committee decided to choose CRR representatives unless opposition in the House developed.

When Lowell's opponents of the CRR obtained 50 signatures for an anti-CRR petition last weekend, the House committee agreed to hold a binding referendum.

Leverett House plans to hold a similar referendum early next term, and Kirkland may hold one too. Five other House committees have decided to ignore Whitlock's request for CRR members.