Catholic Center Board Protests Personnel Change at St. Paul's

The board members of the Harvard-Radcliffe Catholic Student Center sent letters yesterday to Cardinal Humberto Medeiros and President Bok protesting the dismissal of the entire staff of the Catholic Student Center.

Father Richard Griffin, assistant chaplain to the University, learned Monday that he and two other employees, Ann Kelley and Carole Bohn, will be dismissed on June 30, 1975.

The Archdiocese of Boston named Father John Boles to replace Father Edward G. Murray as pastor of St. Paul's. Boles will name a new staff for the Catholic Student Center by May 1, 1975.

The letter to Bok asked for a meeting to "outline in detail" the board's" objections to the actions of the Cardinal." The board expressed its "strongest displeasure with the abrupt firing."

Bok said late last night he had not yet read or considered the letter.

Proposed Changes

The letter to Medeiros criticized the "proposed personnel changes" and the process by which the changes in the staff were made.

The board requested an "immediate meeting" to discuss the failure to hold "consultation with members of the Saint Paul community" before the decision to change the staff.

The letter termed the lack of consultation a "violation of the minimal standards of due process," and said that it undermined the "confidence in ecclesiastical administration" in Boston.