Afro and Adams Film Society To Reschedule Griffith's Film

The Harvard-Radcliffe Association of Afro-American Students (Afro) and the Adams House Film Society have tentatively agreed to reschedule D.W. Griffith's film "Birth of a Nation" for November 15 and 16, preceded by a presentation by a professor of black studies and followed by a political discussion of the movie.

Educational Value

The Afro executive board in a statement released last night by Afro president Patsy Fath Davis '76 objected to showing the movie purely as entertainment but said it "recognizes its educational value and feels that a setting in which the nature of the dispute is presented will facilitate the fullest possible understanding of the film."

The response followed an Adams House protest last Saturday night by 50 students who objected to the film's being shown because of its treatment of blacks and its glorification of the Ku Klux Klan.

The students, members of the Organization for the Solidarity of Third World Students (OSTWS), disrupted the Adams House dining hall and prevented the film from being shown.

On Its Own

Alan J. Bozer '75, co-chairman of the Adams House Film Society, although agreeing to Afro's stipulations for showing the film, said last night, "I feel the common man in America doesn't really need a lot of background presentation for judging the film; we don't give him enough credit. The film can stand on its own merits."

But Robert B. Knauss '75 co-chairman of the Society said, "we agree with Afro that a panel discussion in this case will be a worthwhile educational experience."

The presentation of the second showing will be by Professor William Scott, visiting lecturer at Harvard and chairman of the Black Studies Program at Wellesley College, according to the Afro statement. Scott will present several 20th century interpretations of the Reconstruction era, and will outline a brief history of the film.

His talk and the ensuing discussion will hopefull "reslove the question of conflicting rights: the freedom both to view and to protest the movie," the Afro board said.

Scott was unavailable for comment last night.