Unreleased Report Calls Cambridge Arrest Brutal

A Cambridge Police Department report concludes that two policemen beat and injured Clarence Anderson following his arrest last July 11, and recommends that "disciplinary proceedings be initiated" against the policemen, a source close to the case said yesterday.

In a statement yesterday, Cambridge Police Chief James F. Regan gave no comment on the content of the report, but he announced that Officers Francis Burns and Robert Ahern would be summoned before a departmental panel. If found guilty, Burns and Ahern could face punishment ranging from a reprimand to expulsion from the police force.

A police spokesman, Skip McCaffrey, said the officers and their lawyers had been notified of the hearing. No date for the hearing has been set.

The police investigation into the circumstances of Anderson's arrest began in mid-July after Anderson filed a complaint with the department. Anderson was arrested while driving a motorcycle, and charged with failing to stop for a uniformed officer and dangerous driving.

William Homans '41, Anderson's lawyer, said yesterday that although he has not seen the report he has heard it says Burns struck Anderson in the face after arresting him. As Anderson fell to the ground, Homans said the report says, Burns kicked him in the right eye.

Up Against the Hood

Homans said the report goes on to say that Officer James Hallice walked Anderson to a patrol car. He said it charges that when Hallice went to the car radio to report the arrest, Ahern "slammed" Anderson against the hood of the car.

When asked if the report alleged that Burns and Ahern used excessive force, police spokesman McCaffrey said "I don't know. I know nothing about the evidence. I don't know if the report says that of it doesn't."

Anderson suffered the permanent loss of sight in one eye and other facial injuries. The officers who arrested Anderson said he sustained the injuries in a fall.

Two months ago Malden District Court Judge Louis Glazer denied Anderson's application for assault and battery complaints against Burns and Hallice, on grounds of insufficient evidence.

"Anderson originally thought that he had been beaten by Burns and Hallice," Homans said yesterday. Anderson did not seek a complaint in court against Ahern. After learning of the accounts of witnesses of the incident, Anderson accused Ahern rather than Hallice of taking part in the alleged beating.

Homans said Anderson may file a case in federal court for violation of civil rights. Homans discounted the possibility of a suit for damages against Burns and Ahern.

"The prime thing in my mind and Anderson's mind is to make sure that he is guaranteed the treatment due to all citizens, and that police officers be treated the same way," Homans said.