Fogg Uses Closed-Circuit T.V. In New Trial Security Plan

The Fogg Art Museum has installed two closed-circuit television cameras on a trial basis as part of an effort to strengthen the building's overall security.

The closed-circuit system, designed to protect the museum's collections from fire and water damage as well as from theft and vandalism, will remain on trial "for at least a few months," Seymour Slive, acting director of the Fogg, said yesterday.

Slive said the new security plans at the Fogg were not made in direct response to the theft of over $1 million worth of rare coins from the Fogg last December 2.

The closed-circuit cameras monitor a pair of third-floor corridors, relaying live images onto television screens watched by a single guard. Depending on the success of the two cameras, University and museum officials will consider the installation of a more extensive closed-circuit system, Slive said.

The closed-circuit measure, if fully instituted, will serve only as a part of a much more elaborate security system at the Fogg, Slive said. He declined further comment on the nature of the overall system.

Slive said there was no indication the Fogg would have to hire new personnel in any of its increased security efforts. He said an advantage of using closed-circuit television was that it did not require any additional personnel.

Other facets of the closed-circuit system under consideration include intercoms and a centralized security headquarters, Slive said. He added that these measures were still in the planning stages.

The nature of the Fogg's security last year prompted in part the August resignation of Daniel J. Robbins as director of the Fogg.

Fine Arts Department sources said in August that the central administration was "disappointed" by the way Robbins handled the Fogg's security problems, including the coin theft.

Robbins resigned following a series of conflicts with the Fine Arts faculty and the administration.