Radcliffe Varsity Field Hockey Squad Drops Squeaker to Jackson, 1-0, on Last-Minute Goal

The Jackson field hockey team stunned Radcliffe with a last-minute goal to snare a 1-0 victory at its home field yesterday. Despite the loss, Radcliffe goalie Barb Matson played magnificently, kicking out all shots for 49 minutes.

With one minute remaining in the game, the Jumbos mounted a powerful assault, firing two blazers which Matson dramatically turned away be sprawling on the ground.

A Dent to Win

The goalie then watched helplessly as Jackie Burnham of Jackson dented the net for the winning margin.

Assistant coach Molly Quimbly said she was impressed with her goaltender's performance. "I have never seen Barb play so well. She really kept us in the game. The score was almost inevitable," she said.

The first half was lackluster as neither team could launch a sustained threat. Radcliffe seemed to be repeating last week's debacle against Northeastern, with sloppy passing and little movement.

Lone Threat

The only real scoring threat of the half came five minutes before halftime. Karen Linsley stickhandled skillfully through the Jumbo defense and let loose a screecher which was saved by the goalie.

The rebound bounced in front, but Eve Gardner whiffed from three feet out. The Jackson defense finally cleared the ball stymieing the Crimson's best scoring opportunity of the day.

Radcliffe controlled the play at the opening of the second half. It passed sharply and pressured the Jackson defense but could not tally.

The Crimson began to wilt and the Jumbo offense took charge. It peppered the goal with an assortment of shots. Only Matson prevented Jackson from notching the afternoon's first score, but even her acrobatics failed in the final 55 seconds.

The stickwomen played without two of their regulars on defense, but Nancy Sato played a strong game to help compensate for their absence.

The loss dropped Radcliffe's record to 0-2, but the Crimson is not discouraged. Coach Pippy O'Connor said, "We have a young squad and we need time to learn to play together. We played much, much better than last week."

Radcliffe hopes to capture its first triumph of the year at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow against an improved Brown squad at Soldier's Field.