Harvard Law School Students May Join National Law Group

A group of students at the Harvard Law School are discussing the possibilities of forming a local chapter of the National Lawyers Guild (NLG), an association which advocates basic change in the structure of the U.S. political and economic system.

The student group, the Harvard Law Students Guild (HLSC), was organized in September primarily by second-year law students, Stephen Bachmann and Philip McClelland, for law students who agreed with the aims of the NLG.

McClelland said yesterday that the HLSG has a dual nature: it is a group for progressive political action, and it provides a means for social interaction among law students.

After receiving and enthusiastic response at an organizational meeting attended by about 60 law students, the HLSG established a series of programs for the academic year.

Some of these programs were:

* The establishment of a labor committee to examine the plights of unions;

* The organization of a summer job referral service, to serve as an alternative to traditional legal and para-legal opportunities;

* A speaker series designed to attract guest lectures who are advocates of progressive political action; and,

* The creation of an underground newspaper to promote both radical political thought, and a re-examination of the teaching methods implemented at the law school.

McClelland said that it was not imperative to the group whether or not they finally decide to become an official chapter member of the NLG because the lack of a parent organization would not affect the HLSG's efforts. He said that the group would still serve a vital function even if the political programs flounder, because it enables the students a chance to get acquainted.

"We're trying to break the pattern of isolation that permeates the Law School," McClelland said, and added that the structure of the school is such that it is difficult to meet new people.

Upon entering the Law School, each student is assigned to one of four freshman sections which he or she will stay in for the remainder of the year. The student takes an entire load of courses within the same section in an assigned seat, and this physical segregation results in limited acquaintances, McClelland said.

The aim of the NLG, as quoted in its constitution is "to bring together all those... who recongnize the importance of safeguarding and extending the rights of workers, women, farmers, and minority groups upon whom the welfare of the nation depends...."

McClelland said that the HLSG will continue to have weekly luncheon meetings each Wednesday at the law school even if it decides not to affiliate with the NLG.