Q-House Takes Cross Country Title

300 Harriers Compete

Over 300 contestants competed yesterday in four divisions at an intramural cross country meet at Soldiers Field.

Runners in divisions for freshmen, undergraduates, women and in an open division for anyone affiliated with the University covered a one and one-half mile circuit.

Nearly 150 contestants participated in the undergraduate division. George Farrelly (Mather House) out-distanced the field for individual honors with a time of 9:50. Kurt Holland (Quincy House), finished strongly to take second place. Steve Lucal (Currier House), Jeff Ferris (Currier House) and John Derho (Adams House) finished third, fourth and fifth.

Seven Houses had the ten or more contestants needed to qualify for team honors. Quincy House, on the strength of Holland's second-place finish and Mike Bromwich's ninth-place finish garnered the team title with a score of 297. Lowell House was a close second with 326 and Leverett House finished third with 497.

The order of finish for the first ten runners from each House determined the total score for the team title.

In the Freshman Division, Scott Cecil (Greenough) won in a time of 10:13, Dan Pierce (Thayer South) took second place and Brad Behrman (Mower/Stoughton) placed third.

Only six contestants participated in the women's division. Barbara Norris (Dunster House) won the race, followed by Debbie McLane (Eliot House) and Alma Heywards (Lowell House).

The open division race course covered three miles. Bob McLennan, a third-year law student ran a strong race, finishing first with a time of 16:59. Dan Jordan '74, a first-year law student, challenged for the lead many times, but fell off the pace set by McLennan and finished a close second. Jim Shapiro '68, an employee of the Harvard News Office, placed third.