Duehay Will Leave Harvard To Direct Foundation at Tufts

Francis H. Duehay '55, dean of admissions and studies at the Harvard Graduate School of Education since 1970, will leave his post at Harvard on November 1.

Duehay will assume full-time leadership of the Lincoln Filene Center for Citizenship and Public Affairs at Tufts University as its executive director.

He will begin what he terms "a challenging new job" on November 4.

Arthur Powell, associate dean of the Ed School, said that Duehay's resignation "is a great loss for Harvard." Powell said the move is "a great opportunity" for Duehay since the new job will be "an extension of his present interests."

During his tenure as dean, Duehay also served as a lecturer on Education.

He served on the Cambridge School Committee from 1964 to 1971, and is now in his second term on the city council.

'Too Pro-Harvard'

Duehay has been criticized by independent city councilors as being "too pro-Harvard." Powell said yesterday, "It is terrific that he's leaving and will finally have a chance to be independent."

Watson Howland Jr., president of the non-profit Civic Education Foundation which overseas the Filene Center, said yesterday he was "particularly pleased" with the selection of Duehay, who, he said, brings "a rare combination of academic and practical backgrounds" to the center.

Four Month Search

Duehay's selection follows a four-month, nation-wide search for executive director by the foundation.

Duehay has held a number of academic and administrative posts at Harvard since coming here in 1959. Before becoming admissions dean for the Graduate School of Education in 1970, he was the school's director of programs in administration from 1968 to 1970.