Tennis Teams Fare Well in Two Tourneys

Mixed Doubles Duo Wins Tournament

By William E. Stedman jr.

The Radcliffe-Harvard team of Lissa Muscatine and Howie Dizenfeld swept past four sets of opponents Sunday to capture the Dartmouth College Invitational Mixed Doubles Tournament in Hanover, N.H.

The Radcliffe captain and her partner, a Harvard junior, faced the defending champion Big Green duo of Vicki Austin and Tom Hunt in the finals and took the ten-game pro set by a 10-7 margin to capture the title. Austin is Dartmouth's number one women's player.

Muscatine and Dizenfeld nearly ended up battling it out with the second Harvard-Radcliffe team, Maude Wood and Tucker Boynton. But Wood and Boynton fell prey to the Green in the semifinals by a 10-5 score. The pair nearly went the distance after a 10-2 victory against Yale and a close 11-9 win against Williams.

Muscatine and Dizenfeld started their drive to the crown with an unartistic but nonetheless effective 10-7 triumph over the Keene State Owls. Keene State earned a spot in the tournament, as did Plymouth State, another small college, when larger schools such as Brown declined the invitation.

In the second round, Muscatine and Dizenfeld trounced the Middlebury representatives, 10-2, then proceeded to take apart the pair from the University of New Hampshire, 10-2, in a tune-up for the finals.

"It was a unique tournament," Muscatine said, "and hopefully the beginning of a lot more mixed doubles events."

With the ECAC Division I tournament taking place at Princeton last weekend, the mixed teams were composed of varsity women players and junior varsity, men, or in some cases men who did not play on any school team.