Radcliffe Smashes Stonehill

All Hands Win in 9-0 Rout

By Andy Quigley

The Radcliffe tennis team continued its winning ways yesterday, trouncing Stonehill College, 9-0, in a match at Harvard. None of the individual matches were in doubt, as each of the Radcliffe racquetwomen had an easy time of it with her Stonehill opponent.

"Stonehill is only a mediocre team," Radcliffe coach John McCarthy said. "None of our players were pressed in any of their matches."

Singles Sting

In the singles matches, number one Denise Thal defeated Donna Turner, 6-0, 6-2; Captain Lissa Muscatine whipped Lauri Sedecino, 6-4, 6-4; Suki Magraw bested Beth Aries, 6-3, 6-0; Rita Funaro, playing at four instead of her usual five slot, swept past Kathy Conway, 6-3, 6-1; Jill Robertson eased by Ann Curran, 6-0, 6-2; and Ingrid Sarapuu beat Carol Wesling, 6-2, 6-2.

In doubles, Jinny St. Goar and Maud Wood combined for a 6-2, 6-0 win; Janet Kuhlman and Ann Ginsberg hammered out a 6-2, 6-3 victory; and Janet Clarke and Ann Koufman took a 6-2, 6-0 win.

Particularly encouraging was the play of the junior varsity players in the doubles contests. Stonehill and Radcliffe had agreed to a "no repeat" match, thus enabling 12 players to get playing time.

"Our younger players played well," McCarthy said. "The J.V. squad is a strong team."

"We weren't really psyched for Stonehill today," Captain Muscatine said. "This match, and our next one (against Endicott), are really only in preparation for the Greater Bostons next weekend."