Brown Booters Edge Big Red

It wasn't supposed to be this way.

At the beginning of the season, it was supposed to be a runaway. The Brown soccer squad was picked by just about everybody to walk off with the Ivy League title unmolested. The Harvard squad, under a new coach, with quite a few sophomores and no outstanding individual talent, was supposed to be reposing quietly in the league cellar by now.

But it didn't turn out that way. Brown so far has walked through the league unmolested, but the Crimson team has managed to do the same. With both squads sporting 5-0 the Ivy crown will, for all intents and purposes, be decided between the two teams on Harvard's home field this Saturday at 10:30.

While George Ford's booters slipped past Princeton last weekend, Brown kept its record unblemished as well, edging a tough Cornell squad in Providence.

The Bruins scored both goals in the first 12 minutes of the contest and with the help of goalkeeper Mike Hampden, hung on for the crucial victory. The Big Red now join the rest of the league in the also-ran department.

Dan Frazier and Bob Sfaitzer tallied for the Bruins, while Peter Harrity scored the lone Cornell goal.