Fighting Submerger

Horner Vows to Battle Submerger

By Sydney P. Freedberg

The identity crisis of Radcliffe College once again became an issue this week, as Matina Horner pledged to the Radcliffe Alumnae Council that "the male bastion" institution of Harvard will not lure its younger, sister college into "submerger."

In an emotional plea to save Radcliffe, the president--who possibly will be Radcliffe's last--said that any merger agreement resulting in "the loss of equal opportunity and voice for women" is not acceptable to the Radcliffe community.

"Our women have nothing to be apologetic about," Horner assured the alumnae. "It would not be an appropriate or meaningful relationship with Harvard to see the loss of identity for Radcliffe."

And for those who have questioned what a Radcliffe president does, Horner this week came up with an answer. She said that the interpretation and implementation of the 1971 nonmember-merger agreement has been her most time-consuming and important responsibility during the past two years.

Speaking on the financial arrangement between the two colleges, Horner repeated her assertion that "Radcliffe is not a financial albatross for Harvard."

She also said she hopes that whatever decision the Strauch Committee comes to regarding equal access admissions will aid and encourage women.

The question of the means goes on.