Stein Rafto: Some Hawaiian Sunshine

Freshman Sparks Varsity Harriers

By Kurt J. Holland

In what was one of the dreariest campaigns in recent Crimson cross country history, Hawaiian Stein Rafto provided a blaze of sunshine.

Rafto, a freshman, finished among the top four Crimson runners in every meet this year as the harriers posted a disappointing 4-6 slate. He consistently stalked seniors Jim Keefe (captain) and Bill Muller to develop into an excellent varsity runner in only his first year at Harvard.

Surprise Opening

The young harrier opened the season with a seventh-place finish against a powerful Northeastern squad. "It was my first meet and I didn't really know what to expect," Rafto said. "All of the upperclassmen had been at [cross country] camp so I didn't know where I stood. But I had put in two workouts a day over most of the summer so I felt physically ready."

The Crimson reaped the benefits of Rafto's high mileage summer in its first triumph of the season against Brown. The freshman placed second behind Keefe by bursting past Muller with a furious lastmile kick.

Rafto hit his stride and peaked in the important Heptagonal Championship a week and a half ago. Despite a dismal Harvard team effort, Rafto crossed the finish line 21st to cop All-Ivy honors.

"I guess I should consider that as a highlight," he said. "But it was tainted because the team did so poorly. It is hard to get excited about individual accomplishments when the team does not run well."

Rafto considers his running secondary to his studies. "I came to Harvard to get a good education, so I spend a lot of time studying," the harrier said. "In high school I could run as much as I pleased but now I have to make some concessions."

When Rafto isn't studying or running he likes to be with friends listening to "moderate" rock music. "I'll have an occasional drink but I'm not a real partier. I don't like to go out and get plastered."

Running was not a difficult choice for Rafto. His father and several other close relatives have competed in track.

Furthermore, Rafto has the ideal physique for distance running. He stands over six feet tall and his 135 pounds just barely fill his spindly frame.

"Bird Legs"

"When I used to look at those height and weight charts it used to scare me because I weighed so little. I still catch a lot of flack. I'm constantly being called tooth pick, birdlegs and other such names," he said.

His "birdlegs" have carried him a long way as he has traveled as far as Ann Arbor, Mich., to compete in the Junior Olympics two summers ago. Running affords him excellent opportunities for travel and meeting diverse people.

Rafto also enjoys the competitive aspects of running. "I like competition on some sort of a friendly basis," he said. "I can't see grinding another person's ass into the ground."

"All runners should give their best effort. And then after the race they should be friendly and talkative." Cross country offers Rafto the loose competition he seeks.

Rafto's roommates are not so fond of his running. "Just smell his socks, then tell what you think of him," one ribbed. But Rafto evaded the remark as he slipped out the door for his afternoon jaunt.