Letters to the Sports Editors

To the Sports Editor:

As one who has always taken a great deal of pleasure in being a spectator at Harvard sports events, I feel that I must express my disgust at the continuing behavior of a group of people who frequent the stands in the southern end of Watson Rink. Most regrettably, this group includes a number of the Band members. I am referring to those people who spend the better part of each hockey game jeering, insulting, and baiting visiting players, particularly goaltenders.

Along with considerable skill, the hockey teams of Harvard coaches Cooney Weiland and then Bill Cleary have always, in my experience, demonstrated an admirable degree of sportsmanship. I do not know of any sport, in fact, in which Harvard teams do not meet the high standard of conduct one should presumably expect of college athletes in amateur competition. It is a pity this example can't be followed by all spectators.

Surely no great intellect is required in order to understand that goalie baiting, which often reaches vicious extremes, displays an utter disregard for sportsmanship and common decency. Certainly the Golden Rule, however trite it may seem, is not beyond the intellectual grasp of even those morons who insist on detracting from good hockey by their gratuitous abuse of athletes who happen to play for an opposing team.

It may be pointed out that this type of behavior is common in all rinks around the ECAC; that does not excuse it here.

Harvard may win a national championship this season. Whatever the record of this fine team may be, I intend to enjoy watching them play, and success would please no fan more than myself. But I'm afraid I must resign myself to having my enjoyment diminished by the rude, stupid behavior of a few imbeciles who don't seem to understand what the sport is about. Sincerely,   Stephen Spaulding '70