Terriers Drub Crimson Matmen, 31-9

Drop Third Straight

By Francis T. Crimmins jr.

There was never much doubt that the Boston University grapplers were going to beat the Crimson in yesterday's home match, but the Terriers were extra convincing in delivering a 31-9 drubbing to the Harvard matmen.

"We've got to get our lineup adjusted," Crimson coach Johnny Lee said yesterday. "We were weak in too many spots."

Terrier Jeff Lambert started the fireworks at 118 as he notched a superior decision against Dave Albert to spring B.U. into a 4-0 lead.

Milt Yasanaga pulled the Crimson within one point of the Terriers as the 126-pounder dominated Matt Thomas of B.U. to take the decision. Yasanaga jumped to an early 4-1 lead in the second period and the grappler had too much endurance for his fatigued opponent.

Previously unbeaten Bob Cusumano dropped a decision to Terrier Sev Popolizio at 134 and the Crimson slipped to 3-7. The Crimson grappler was penalized four points for stalling and that proved to be Popolizio's winning margin.

Crimson 142-pounder Ty Richardson deadlocked Guy Bercier for two periods, but Bercier managed to turn Richardson over in the early third period to shackle the Harvard matman for the pin.

Terrier co-captain Tom Kryzak notched six more points for the opposition as he pinned 150-pound Jon Franklin in the latter's first varsity outing to give B.U. a solid 19-3 lead.

"Franklin might have been pinned, but he had a good performance," Lee said. "He's a helluva scrapper."

Mike Dee and Terrier 158-pounder Cliff Whalen engaged in a spirited clash with Whalen coming out with the 4-3 decision on the basis of one point for riding time.

Johnson Returns

The Crimson got a boost from the return of All-Ivy selection Bruce Johnson. Johnson bested the 167-pound Gil Hoy of B.U. in their bout and the Crimson trailed, 6-22.

Jim Straffmyer gave the Crimson another three points as he decisioned the Terrier's 177-pounder, co-captain Mark Jones.

Another previously unbeaten Crimson grappler, Bart Van Dissel, dropped a close decision to Mark Nichols at 190 and heavyweight Kip Smith suffered a second period pin to Terrier Joe Castronovo to wrap up the 31-9 B.U. victory.

The disappointed Lee found no solace in the Crimson defeat. "We have got a long way to go."