Cagers Face Hapless Cornell in IAB Tonight

By Jefferson M. Flanders

This is the final weekend in the IAB for captain Tony Jenkins and Ken Wolfe. Harvard's two senior basketball starters will make their last home appearances in games against hapless Cornell and Columbia tonight and Saturday.

When the Crimson five takes to the hardcourt tonight at 8 p.m. for a clash with the Big Red from Ithaca, it will try to give Jenkins and Wolfe a winning send-off to remember.

Tom Sanders's heartstopping squad will also be hoping to improve a 8-12 overall record and 6-4 mark in the Ivies. And against a Cornell team that is 3-19 and missing 6-ft. 7-in. captain Lynn Loncki, sidelined indefinitely with a foot injury, the Harvard cagers should encounter little opposition.

In Ithaca on February 9 the Crimson whipped the Big Red, 74-63. Right before that contest, Cornell's second-year head coach Tony Coma had announced his resignation for "personal reasons." Assistant Tom Allen stepped in as interim coach, a position he holds now.

Last week Allen's charges dropped three games, 98-58 to Niagara, 107-72 to Yale and 92-76 to Brown. Cornell's season has had a nightmare quality--a never-ending battle to hold eager opponents to under 100 points.

Penn and Princeton came to Cambridge last weekend and when Monday rolled around, the Harvard cagers had two losses, 75-68 and 65-53, respectively. All Ivy League title hopes evaporated with the defeats, and Sanders and his squad can only try to salvage their winning Ivy record with four league games remaining.

Jenkins's 14 points against Princeton gave him over 1000 for his career and put him sixth on the Crimson all-time scorer's list. Jenkins (1006) needs 22 points to catch fifth-place Gary Borchard and 68 to match fourth-place Bill Dennis.

In both games, the play of Lou Silver was disappointing, as the big 6-ft. 7-in. forward scored well below his average. Silver is now clicking for 16 points and pulling down 10 rebounds a game.