Crimson Matmen End Season, Drop Meet to Penn, Princeton

By Theodore O. Rogers jr.

After last year's 5-11 record, it seemed as though the Harvard wrestling team couldn't find any new ways of losing. It did just that yesterday, however, as it lost two meets in the same afternoon to end a disappointing 6-10 season.

The grapplers competed in an unusual dual meet with Pennsylvania and Princeton, necessitated by earlier cancellations, and came up on the short end of the score both times, falling 28-15 to Penn and 21-12 to the Tigers.

Bruce Johnson at 167 lbs. was the only Harvard wrestler to win twice, pinning Andy Softer of Penn and then outpointing his Princeton adversary.

All The Same

Coach John Lee, realizing that Harvard was weak in the heavier weights, employed a strategy throughout the season of bringing his better wrestlers down in weight class and conceding the heavier weights. The plan wasn't much help yesterday, however, as the lower weight classes took a beating along with the heavier ones.

Captain Dan Blakinger, the most consistent Crimson performer over the season, fell to Penn at 118 lbs., but rebounded to defeat his Princeton opponent.

George Baker, another standout over the year at 134 lbs., doubled his season loss total by losing twice.

John Adler at 126 lbs., wrestling varsity for only the fourth time, also was outpointed twice.

There were some bright spots for the Crimson in the match, though. Junior Stuart Sundlun, at 142 lbs., turned in a pin over Jeff Ticot of Penn at 3:29 of his bout before losing narrowly to his Princeton adversary.

Bill Haley at 126 lbs. Complemented Sundlun's performance, winning handily over Princeton, but losing 11-1 to Penn's Eric Groverman.

Bart Vandissel showed some promise of ending Harvard's lack of good heavy wrestlers by rebounding to beat Princeton's Gerald Greenwood at 190 lbs., after having been pinned by Pete Ingersoll of Penn.

The Crimson could not field a heavyweight wrestler because of injuries, and forfeited in that class to Penn and Princeton.

The wrestlers will compete next week at the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association championships at Navy. Lee said that he expects Blakinger and Baker to finish high in the event.